Hiya !!
Just thought I´d send out a quick letter to confirm that I am alive and kicking up north in Iceland. I´ve been back home for a month now which, mysteriouslly, is a long time that has passed quickly. I miss being in Hong Kong a lot, especially when the weather isn´t too good, but know I will be back there before I know it. I do have a few great friends coming over for a visit during the summer and looking forward to that makes my "homesickness" easier. A funny thing that is. I´m homesick to a place where I dont have a home anymore, even though I´m staying in my home country surrounded by people who I grew up with and familiar things.
But then again, I´ve never been considered normal....
I´ve been busy getting settled again, finding a place to stay for the summer and getting back to work. Then there was a lot of catching up to do and I've been invited to dinners and lunches left, right and centre. I honestly don´t think I´ve had to buy food more than twice since I'm back. A lot of heart to hearts and gossipping like mad people, a girly talk overdose if you will. Will need to crack open a can of beer and fart for a night to equalize..... :)
Have been out a few times, which of course resulted in a huge cold, given my party clothes from HK are a bit skimpier than preferred for Icelandic nights out. Frankly I don´t know what I was thinking when I packing. Or how the hell I managed to drag 40something kilos back home without a single T-shirt. Seems like I overrated my need of socks (bought 15 fresh pairs as I never wear them in HK), got overly enthusiastic about time spent on sports (brought my rugby shoes but no rugby ball, sport bras but not a single t-shirt, training kit but no shorts ... ) and last but not least, I have an unforseen problem with my jackets. Seems like no one of my Shenzen-tailor-made-specially-for-you-my-friend jackets don´t leave any room for a thick sweater under them which in hindsight kind of makes sense given that I would never ever wear both a sweater or a jumper AND a jacket in HK. So, now I either have to wear a jacket (and one of my skimpy tops) or a sweater. Either way, I'm freezing.
Gifts were another problem. Started buying some stuff for friends and not really in the right "importance-order", but half way through my shopping spree realised that I probably would have to pay a lot of overweight at the airport. Stopped shopping immediately. I now am faced with a few very happy "not so great friends" stuffed with gifts, and quite a few giftless "real friends" who somehow lost sight of the comical side of the situation. They better forgive me soon though coz I feel like a grand night out tonight.
Weather has been really good though and beeing a stewardess helps in the situation because with a lot of free time and free airfares anywhere, I simply fly myself to wherever the sunny spot is. In a country of 103.000 km2 there is bound to be good weather somewhere (yes, Iceland is that big!!!). I have managed to maintain my tan and happily accept envious glances I get everytime I go swimming. Strange as it sounds, Icelanders go swimming a few times every week no matter how the weather is as our swimming pools are comfortably 38 degrees warm. I personally have already been 12 times to the swimming pools since I´m back, showing off my non fake tan being a factor.
Well, better dash now cuz word on the street is that sun is breaking through up north in Iceland and I´ve packed my overnight kit just in case tomorrow will be the same. Will be meeting up with some friends from high school tonight and just hope nobody will bring photoalbums from back then. Name me one girl in the world that wouldn´t mind having pictures from age 12-15 published. Uuuggh! Remind me not to get famous, they tend to dig these up somehow.
Love
Rebekka
Becks (I used this WAY before David ever did)
Bex
Beks
Rebs
Engin ummæli:
Skrifa ummæli